Tuesday 24 July 2012

Interview: Anne Harwell

It is my great pleasure to host today artist and designer Anne Harwell
of the very successful and aesthetically inspiring blog


Anne is an artist with an elegant and sunny attitude that I appreciate most in her beautiful work. She is also one of my favorite people in blogoland, ever. I consider myself  fortunate to be able to call her my friend. What's more, Anne is offering Happy Turtle readers a 15% discount with the code: HAPPYTURTLE15 , which I urge you to use!
Here is our interview with a sample of her work.

 
1.Anne, how did you get started on Art?
I have always been artsy and crafty since preschool, but I never grew up with any sense or goal of being an "artist" per se. I honestly kind of just fell into it in my 20's after finding I liked working in watercolors on boring Winter evenings
2.How did you find your personal artistic language?
I think that it just developed over time through practice and outside influences of other art and images that I was exposed to.


3.Tell us some more about your creative process. What gets your creativity flowing?
So many things!  I am extremely visual and am always absorbing, so I take in massive amounts of images via magazines, the net, books, travel, etc. Somehow, little fragments come out in different combinations. I am self-taught, so I don't base much at all on any academic knowledge of art and so I just "do". Coffee helps boost my creativity, too!
4.Your art is feminine, full of joie de vivre. Do you have a specific space in mind when you are creating a painting?
Not really, I just think that I paint what I like and tend to use varied versions of a similar color range/palette. I do think that white walls and plenty of light are always a great place and welcoming atmosphere for any piece of art, though.


5.Your work has been featured in magazines such as Vogue, Domino and House Beautiful, even a movie, as well as many happy customers' blogs around the web. How do you feel when you see your work in the spotlight?
It's always encouraging and gratifying, for certain. I have also learned not to go up and down with the praise or the silence, though. You learn that over time when there are instances of getting cut from magazines or no one noticing. You need those setbacks, too, to keep yourself balanced. These things keep you humble and prevent you from starting to think that you are somebody great. LOL.
6. You have also introduced a line of needlepoint kits. I think it fits so well the feminine nature of your paintings. How did that come about?
It was a total suprise! The owner of Art Needlepoint contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in partnering with their company. It's been a great collaboration that I've enjoyed.

7.What do you love most about being a creative person?
Definitely the independence, autonomy and freedom to create. It's a lot of responsibility, but the freedom and lack of frustration with being held back by others is well worth it!

8.Any dreams that want to come forward that you'd like to share with my readers?
I'd love to have an expanded line of fabrics, homeware, wallcoverings, etc. That would be a lot of fun. My dreams are more based in who I want to become than what I want to "achieve", though.
I believe we are created by God for a unique role and purpose and the best path is when we follow His plan, rather than coming up with our own. My main dream is to follow that plan.

 Anne is offering Happy Turtle readers a 15% discount with the code:
HAPPYTURTLE15

 
Thank you, Anne, for letting us take a peak into your creative universe.
My dear readers,
Do use the 15% discount that Anne is offering. You will love her work gracing your universe!



love, Irene


1 comment:

erleichda said...

Lovely work and a very interesting interview!
Good job girls : )

Best buys