Saturday 10 March 2012

Something for the Weekend

Happiness? 
The color of it must be spring green, impossible to describe until I see a just-hatched lizard sunning on a stone. That color, the glowing green lizard skin, repeats in every new leaf. 
"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower..." Dylan Thomas wrote. 
"Fuse" and "force" are excellent word choices-the regenerative power of nature explodes in every weed, stalk, branch. Working in the mild sun, I feel the green fuse of my body, too. Surges of energy, kaleidoscopic sunlight through the leaves, the soft breeze that makes me want to say the word "zephyr"-this mindless simplicity can be called happiness. 



 Every year, when Spring approaches, I take Bella Tuscany from my shelves and immerse myself in Spring.
 I love Italy.I love Frances Mayes' books.


  love, Irene

2 comments:

Teacup Moments said...

Hi Irene! Me too. I blogged about my love for her writing here.
http://www.teacupmoments.com/2011/02/bean-soup-for-soul.html
She's having a book signing this month at a nearby Williams-Sonoma and hopefully I'll make it.

Pink Princess said...

I agree wholeheartedly about Italy and Frances Mayes!! This weekend was gray and still cold but I think of Italy and it somehow conjures up spring!

Best buys