Monday 17 March 2008

Old houses

Hello and thank you lots for stopping by and commenting on my previous work post. To answer Claudia's question with regard to the hotel I wrote about in my last post, we worked on the decoration. We are not contractors and do not deal with structural work. We worked on the floor plans that the architect in charge of the project had made, made our proposal for the decoration, and as far as sales go, we provided the furniture, beds and mattresses, sofas, and bedlinen. Corine, there is no website yet, but Tanya you are welcome to visit Greece and why not stay at this hotel, any time.
Today I am posting some pictures from a magazine article on the houses of Galaxidion, a seaside town in central Greece.
Galaxidi, as it is usually called in our days, a merchant port built on a tiny fjord, flourished before the steam boats came to action.
Many old houses survive, witnesses of the town's former wealth. They are built in typical neoclassic style found in many old seaside towns in Greece.
The rooftop in this pictures shows some beautiful akrokerama.
Akrokeramo, meaning "the edge of a brick", is a typical architectural element, frequently used in neoclassical architecture. These forms from clay, in various sizes and motifs, have usually a naturalistic design.
However, they sometimes depict a woman's head. They are attached to the end of clay tile roofing, where the roof is connected with the house wall.
Today they are still produced by small manufacturers. They are used in renovations, and they are sold at gift shops as decorative wall decorations.


A lovely Easter week end to those of you in the Western Christian tradition. The Orthodox Easter is celebrated this year on April 27th.
I shall be visiting Athens over the week end, so if you have any special photo requests do let me know and I'll do my best to post the object of your desire. A bientot.
P.S. Does anyone know how to put accents on French lettering? Or do I have to change my Blogger fonds to do it?

1 comment:

Abagabor said...

Hello Everybody!
Could somebody help me? I want to know, if a grieg akrokeramo (seems to be real) how could be exist in Hungary (in a little town named Göd near to Budapest) on the front-wall of a little country-seat what is probably built in the early years of last century or more earlier. Was there at that time some manufacture in Greek to do such figures for tourists? Or maybe is it an ancient piece?...
I would be grateful for every reflexions. I could send photos if you need.

With regards: Dr. Reök György Aba
reok.gyorgy.aba@gmail.com

Best buys